This Blog article is for all those people out there that are just not happy with the overall performance of their golf cart and want to upgrade the electric motor. Or the complete system motor, controller, cables and contactors. So the first thing you will need to know is what year, make and model golf cart do you own. See our How to find out what year and model golf cart do I own article if you do not know or where to look to find out.
What type of motor?
Next you will need to determine if your golf cart has a Series Motor or a Regen Motor. This is fairly straight forward. You will have several tell-tale signs that will help you determine the type of electric golf cart motor and system that is in your golf cart.
How To Determine The Difference Between Series or Regen Electric Golf Cart Motors
Customers ask me all the time for a faster motor or want to make their golf cart faster. I ask what kind of cart do you have? What is the set up Series or Regen? Same answer – I Don’t Know??? How can I tell they ask, so here you go a few basic ways to find out quickly.
Regen Carts – “Golf Carts with regenerative braking systems.”
- If you have a Run / Tow or Run / Maint. switch under the seat it is a Regen motor. See Picture below…
- If your golf cart motor has wires coming out the end and has a speed sensor it is a Regen Motor.
- If your golf cart has a toggle switch for the Forward / Reverse Selector you have a regen cart
- Lastly if you are under the golf cart and you see two different size threaded anchor bolts 2x @1/4″-20 and 2x @5/16″-20 it is a regen motor.
Series Carts – ” Golf carts with series motors. “
- If you look under the seat and you Do NOT have a Run / Tow or Run / Maint. Switch it is a Series Motor System.
- If you do not have wires coming out the end of the motor or speed sensor you have plain motor or Series motor system.
- If your golf cart has a handle and throw lever for the Forward / Reverse Selector you have a Series Motor
- Lastly if you are under the golf cart and you see two different sets of threaded anchor bolts but all are the same size 5/16″-20 it is a series motor.
Anything else? Just ask
Hopefully this is helpful for those out there looking to purchase a new high performance electric golf cart motor or motor/controller kit. We always say leave comments and questions concerning your golf carts motive power system here should you have any questions or still need assistance. It is also always best to just give us a call prior to making a purchase when wanting to upgrade these components on your golf cart. Pete’s Team is always here to help. 772-247-GOLF